12/14: Fight McConnell’s Dishonest Tax Scam
HOUSE OR SENATE BILL #: H.R. 1 – TAX SCAM
WHO MEMBER IS TO VISIT: US SENATE / US HOUSE
WHEN IS MEMBER TO VISIT: IMMEDIATELY!
*BACKGROUND: Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell writes a deeply dishonest op-ed about the Senate GOP tax plan and Rep. Mark Takano, a former H.S. teacher in Congress, gets out the red pen. We are delivering his document “Mitch McConnell’s Failing Grade” to MOC’s offices to let Members of Congress know we’re not fooled.
WHY THIS IS IMPORTANT:
- The bill would lower the corporate tax rate from the current 35% to 21% — permanently, the largest corporate tax reduction in U.S. history.
- Repeals the Affordable Care Act’s requirement that most people have health insurance, reducing coverage for 13 million people.
- It would switch the U.S. to a “territorial tax system” that taxes corporations based on domestic income only rather than worldwide income. So taxes at new 21% rate would not include any money made overseas. (Fortune)
- It would eliminate the “Alternative Minimum Tax (AMT),” which prevents companies that are making more than $7.5 million every three years from reducing their tax rate below a certain level. (Ways and Means)
- Bill opens the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge to oil & gas drilling.
- Would raise the deficit $1.4 Trillion over ten years to fund a tax cut of which 62% of the tax cut goes to the Top 1% and 40% would go to the top one-tenth of 1%.
- Raises taxes on all middle-class families making $75,000 or less by the end of the decade in order to provide permanent tax cuts to corporations.
SUGGESTED MEMBER SCRIPT: GO TO FACEBOOK LINK: 1) On bottom far right of Facebook page click on “Options”, 2) Choose “Download” under “Options” menu, 3) print out your downloaded document. DELIVER THIS DOCUMENT TO MEMBER OF CONGRESS OFFICES AND SAY, “WE’RE NOT FOOLED. STOP THIS TAX SCAM.”