10/2: Continued funding of “CHIP” – Children’s Health Insurance Program
On Sept. 30, federal funding for the Children’s Health Insurance Program (CHIP), which has allowed 8.9 million kids nationally to access quality affordable health care, ends. And with that end comes the end to access to quality, affordable health care. If Congress does not act, the program, as it is currently operating, will end in the first quarter of 2018.
Q: Will CHP+ end October 1, 2017, if Congress doesn’t do something by then?
A: Colorado CHP+ will not end right away, even if Congress does not do anything by October 1, 2017. The federal money Colorado already has for CHP+ can be used until it runs out (probably in February 2018). Also, Congress may vote at any time before or after October 1, 2017, to allow more money for CHP+.
SUGGESTED MEMBER SCRIPT:
“Hi, my name is …, I’m a constituent from “i.e., Durango” zip code 81***. I strongly urge continuing funding for the Children’s Health Insurance Program (CHIP) and expect action now. There’s still time for Congress to do the right thing.
Suggested talking points:
- ·We need Congress to re-fund CHIP
- Pregnant women shouldn’t have to worry about whether their health insurance will end in the middle of their pregnancy.·
- Parents of kids with cancer shouldn’t have to worry about whether they will be able to get their kid’s medicine next year.
- Extending funding for CHIP for five years will help ensure stable coverage for working families and greater budget certainty for states.
- Maintaining funding for the CHIP program is crucial to protecting Colorado’s budget.
- 90,000 children and pregnant women from working families in Colorado use CHIP for their health insurance every year.
- Kids with health coverage are less likely to drop out of high school, more likely to graduate from college, and have higher incomes as adults.
WHO MEMBER IS TO CONTACT :
- Senator Michael Bennet
- (970) 259-1710 (Durango) (202) 224-5852 (DC Office)
Senator Cory Gardner
- 970) 415-7416 (Durango) (202) 224-5941 (DC Office)
- Representative Scott Tipton
- (970) 259-1490 (Durango) 202-225-4761 (DC Office)
WHEN TO CALL OR WRITE
For further information, click on link below: https://www.colorado.gov/pacific/hcpf/future-child-health-plan-plus-chp