5/20: Colorado Public Lands Day
Canyons of the Ancients National Monument will be waiving entrance fees all day. If you’re active on social media on Saturday, make sure to post your favorite photos of any public lands and use the hashtag: #copubliclandsday
Service Hike, Castle Rock/Elbert Creek Trail, with the Great Old Broads for Wilderness
- 8:30am – meet at the Durango Rec Center, and carpool from there.
- Get ready for hiking season, meet new friends, share the day with special friends of like mind, view wildflowers and help clean up the trail. Bring a lunch & water, and we will supply trash bags! The hike is 6.2 miles round trip, 1830 feet elevation gain. Rated moderate. Dogs on leash only.
- For more details and to reserve a spot – RSVP email@example.com
Project Sky Steps Trailwork, Durango Trails 2000
- 9:00am – 12:00pm – Meet at the 8th Avenue switchback of the Nature Trail (park at 6th Avenue and 10th Street).
- Join Durango Trails 2000 to celebrate Colorado Public Lands Day by volunteering at Project Sky Steps trailwork day on Saturday, May 20. Help create a town to sky stairway connect from the town of Durango, Colorado, to Fort Lewis College campus, home of the Skyhawks, by extending the Nature Trail steps. No experience is necessary; Trails 2000 will provide all tools, instruction, water and lunch for the entire crew. Please come for as much or as little time as you can. Once complete, the stairway connect will provide a great walking route, commute to the college, and training stairway in Durango, Colorado.
- Please RSVP at the event website by May 15.
Clean Up day at McPhee Reservoir, San Juan Mountains Association
- 9am – 1pm — Meet at Sage Hen off of Rd. X in Dolores at the corrals.
- Volunteers will be picking up trash along the shoreline. There will be Leave No Trace education available. Light lunch will be provided for participants. Children 15 and under must be supervised by an adult. Please no dogs. Tools and garbage bags provided. Participants should wear long pants, sturdy shoes, gloves. Bring your own water and snacks. Cancelled if raining.
Awesome Archery, Navajo State Park Amphitheater, Arboles, CO
- 9am – 11am
- Come join us on Colorado Public Lands Day for an introduction to the awesome sport of archery! All equipment will be provided and the range will be set up at the park amphitheater. There is no charge for the class itself, however a $7 daily or annual pass for $70 is required to enter the park which can be purchased at the Visitor Center. Parents are required to accompany participants 9 to 13 years of age and are welcome to bring chairs to watch their young archers in action.
Animas River Clean Up, hosted by 4Corners Riversports
- 10am – Noon – 29th Street Put-In
- Walk/bike/run with 4Corners Riversports for a river trail clean up! We will meet at the 29th put in and walk the river trail (due to high water flows) down to the Santa Rita Park. We will have two vans at Santa Rita for transport back to 29th. Help spread the word and keep the places we love to play clean! Please bring a PFD, Hat, Sunscreen, and Water:) Happy Public Lands Day!
Mountain Biking Tour of Perins Peak State Wildlife Area
- 10am – Meet at the parking area just off C.R. 207 (Lightner Creek Road).
- Join long time Durango Wheel Club member Hal McLean for a casual and informative tour through the heart of the Perins Peak State Wildlife Area. Ride at casual pace 3 miles to the Hoffheins Connection Trailhead through the scenic Perins Peak State Wildlife Area and back to staging area (parking). Level of difficulty: Easy to moderate. The whole family is welcome! What to bring: Mountain bike, water, helmets are required
Trail Run on Hermosa Creek Trail with the Durango Running Club
- 10:30am – Meet at the South entrance of Hermosa Creek Trail
- Whitner Chase, Durango Running Club member will lead the run for about 7 miles, but go for as far as you’d like to go.
Enjoy Vallecito’s Great Public Lands
- All Day, and specific activities 1:00-3:00pm
- (Note the special facilities for wheelchair-bound participants!)
- More information here. Or email Marilyn with questions (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- All Day – all 6 Durango Breweries will have a special IPA on tap in celebration of Colorado Public Lands Day. Hurry in to enjoy this limited edition while it lasts!
- Brewed at Ska by the Bootleggers Society, which is comprised of all 6 Durango Breweries.
And then… a BIG PARTY at the Powerhouse Science Center in Durango!
- 6pm – 10pm
- Food, Beer, Wine
- Live music all night: Afrobeatniks, The Outskirts, and The StillHouse Junkies
- Enter the public lands photo contest! Click here for details. Chance to win a new Osprey pack!
- Facebook event page